Sunday, June 26, 2011
Last Day of School 2010-2011
Wow the year flew bye! I had a great school year, this year. I was fortunate enough to go to the new elementary school in Nibley called Heritage. I was also fortunate enough to teach second grade for the 7th year and teach with my good friend Peggy, who also came from Nibley, and teach with a new teacher, Grant Bushman, whom is now a great friend.
It was a harder year combining two schools, Nibley and River Heights, students and having a larger class for 2nd grade, 28 students. I had some challenging boys who tested the limits and tried my patients, but I am proud to say we all made it alive and in one piece!
Towards the end of the year, I was asked if I would be willing to teach 5th grade. Honestly, I have thought about it for many years. I loved 5th grade, love their curriculum, and a change is always refreshing. I accepted the position with only one hesitation, Math. I told my principal, Mr. Tomas, that I am afraid of 5th grade math. Everything else I am at ease with, but I have become the master of 2nd grade math, so moving to adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing fractions scares me. But I've got the teacher's manual, so I'm good (I hope!). I will be teaching with two fantastic 5th grade teachers, I don't have to "move" rooms again ( I am just setting up a new room for 5th down the hall, an if it is a disaster of a year, I can move back to 2nd grade the following year.) So why not try? I am super excited to say the least!
It was hard to say good-bye to my second graders, like always, but knowing I won't be back for a while made me tear up more. I was able to meet my new class for next year, snap a photo or two to learn names, and start preparing for the journey ahead! I currently have two past students I had in 2nd , now in my 5th grade class so that should be fun!
Here's to a fantastic year full of learning on my part and hopefully my students!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Congrats on the end of a school year! Those are some big landmarks:) I can't believe how long you have been a teacher!! I love seeing your kids. They look so happy. I can't wait to meet them someday! Good luck with your new changes next year!
how fun that you will have 2 old students!
You're such a fun teacher! I loved 5th grade! You'll do great!
Post a Comment