Monthly Themes

July: The Middle of Summer Already?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What Did You Want to be When You Grew Up?

One of the first jobs I remember wanting to be when I was "grown-up" was a Truck Driver. Why? I really am not sure why. I think it was because they have cool truck cabs you can sleep in, loud horns that kids like to get the drivers to pull, and you get to travel the county and see things others don't. My parents didn't like that idea. Can't imagine why!
Another profession I remember wanting to do was be an F16 Pilot. My mother told me NO! My grandpa (my mom's dad) was an Air Force Pilot. He flew in World War II and survived. My mom and her family lived all over the world. She even lived in Spain for several years when she was younger. I have such a strong admiration for the men and women in the service and feel so grateful for all they do for me and my family!

I thought about being a Veterinarian, a soccer player, Physical Therapist, going into Sports Medicine and being a Sports Trainer and being a surgical doctor. Notice how teacher was not mentioned. I never wanted to be a teacher. I wanted to be a "Career Women" who made a difference in the world. Little did I know that taking the Elementary Education Intro class for an "easy" A would change my life's ambitions.

The first day I walked into a classroom to observe, I was changed forever. How I missed elementary school, the classroom, writing with pencils, pencil sharpeners, gym class, the library, the friendships and of course Recess! That is where I was suppose to be. Making a difference in many lives on a day to day basis. I was home.

How grateful I am for finding my place. I love my job everyday (besides the politics) I love my students and those I get to work with! I still tell my students every year that when I grow-up, I want to be an architect like my dad. Maybe someday!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Very cool!
I think it's funny how we end up different from where we thought we'd be as a child.

I don't know... being a truck driver sounds kind of fun! *wink*

Anonymous said...

I think the pic of your class is the best pic. Maybe I am a little biased though..................

Emma Dutson said...

Wow, your ambitions, you had a LOT of them. But, Teacher is the Best, even though that wasn't on the list.
I agree, the photo of your 'Class children' is super. It shows their personalities.