Pictures will becoming when I figure out how to transfer them from Eric's phone.
So last Sunday we were all ready to go and I just had to put my shoes on. I went into my closet and put my hand on the door jam/lip/frame part of the door for balance. I didn't know my pinkie finger was in the frame part. I bent down to grab my shoes and felt a pinch. I thought, "that really hurts!" I looked up and saw my finger shut in the door. Now it really hurt! I yelled for the door to open. Turns out Omar was in the closet with me and didn't see or feel my finger in the door when he shut it. It wasn't a slam, more of a pulled shut. I grabbed my finger not knowing how bad it was and ran into the bathroom where Eric was brushing his teeth. He asked if I needed a ban-aid and I told I wasn't sure. I pulled my hand away from my finger to look at it but it was all bloody. I ran it under the sink and it was a bad cut. Eric started panicking and I told him I needed to go to the hospital. He ran to get some ice for my finger. I was in shock so it didn't hurt as bad as it should. Eric put on my shoes for me and in the car we went.
The kids had no idea what was happening and poor Marisol was scared. She started crying a little. Omar was just unaware of the situation. As we were driving, Eric called his parents to see if we could drop off the kids while we went to the hospital. They didn't answer. We tried some friends and no answer. Eric was very frustrated but I told him to calm down and that the kids would just have to come with us. Just as we were pulling into the parking lot at the hospital, Eric's dad called. Eric asked if he could pick the kids up at the hospital and take them to his house. Thank goodness for grandpas!
I was admitted right away. Apparently Sundays are busy days in the emergency room. I was seen by a nurse that looked at my pinkie and then gave me a tetanus shot (lucky me) and then was asked to wait for the doctor. Another nurse came in to do vitals while we continued to wait. 20 minutes later the PA came in. He looked it over and saw how deep it really was. The whole top could be flipped up like a cap top. He ordered ex-rays because of where the finger was injured. It did hit the bone. We waited 10 more minutes and then I was wheeled on my bed to the ex-ray room. What service for a hurt pinkie. They took 3, yes 3 ex-rays. I was wheeled back and we waited for the PA again.
It was indeed broken. What luck! The PA gave me a numbing shot in my finger. The needle was so small I couldn't feel it going in, but the numbing liquid burned like no other. My finger was instantly numb and ready to be poked. I have never had stitches before and was nervous about them hurting. But the numbing shot they gave me was like gold. The PA had me run my finger under the tap water to rinse it out before he cleaned it up for stitches. I couldn't feel anything. He put 6 stitches around the front side of my pinkie. One even had to go through my nail! After a nurse came into wrap it up. The doctor finally came in at that point to look it over and let me know that I can have the stitches out in 10 days.
He recommended I see a Orthopedic Surgeon about the broken bone, to make sure the bone doesn't need to be removed or pinned back to the rest of the bone or any other complications that might arise. I was sent home with a metal finger splint for when the finger is not swollen and oozy anymore, and more gaze and bandage for wrapping.
This whole little adventure from start to finish took 3 hours. I would not recommend this to anyone looking for an excuse to miss church.
3 comments:
even though I knew what was coming I still cringed as I read it. Welcome to the club of ER's and stitches. I hope it all heals nicely, and there there are no future problems with the bone!
Ouch! I was wincing the whole time, sorry that happened to you. That just sounds awful.
Duane told me about you. So sorry it happened. Hope 'Pinkie' is a lot better now.
Post a Comment