Monthly Themes

July: The Middle of Summer Already?

Monday, April 12, 2010

Poor Little Guy


Omar came into our room this morning at 7 am and was telling me his head hurt. I went to get some tylenol and the thermometer. When I came back he was gagging a little. I took his temperature and he was fine. I gave him the tylenol and he chewed it (he can't swallow pills) and some water. He laid in my bed while I went to get ready for school. Ten minutes later, Omar was in my bathroom leaning over the toilet throwing up and having a bloody nose at the same time. Could he be sensitive to tylenol? I can;t have aspirin or anything like it, so my house is stocked with tylenol. When he was done, I ran a warm bath for him. He relaxed while I called my friend and lifesaver to pick Marisol up for school. I got online to arrange a sub when I heard Omar say, "Oh again'" Yup, he needed to throw up again. Poor guy! I pulled him out of the tub and he did his thing. I put him back in the tub and helped him wash. I got him out helped him get into clean, warm jammies. I put him back in my bed with a movie and "the bowl". When I was growing up, my parents had a giant yellow plastic bowl that would sit by our beds when we were not feeling well; ours is pink. I went into the kitchen to find Marisol dressed and ready for school. What a sweetheart! I made her breakfast, did her hair and ate with her. I was just finishing notes for my sub when Heather came for Marisol. Thanks Heather! Omar watched a show and ate some dry toast and banana. I thought I might as well get stuff done-since I didn't do anything over spring break. Omar finished his show and I put on another movie for him. This is the only way to have him "down" and rest while he is asleep. I finished grading, recording, adding reading minutes and organizing the mountain of papers I had when the movie ended. I told Omar that when he is sick he needs to rest and take a nap. He didn't like the idea. I picked him up and laid him in his bed. He started to cry. I assured him it was not because he was in trouble or that I was mad, just that he needed rest. He cried a tired cry for probably 20 minutes. Then it got real quiet. I continued to work on the computer. I heard him get out of bed and go into the bathroom. I followed to make sure he wasn't sick again. He was ok. I laid him bak in bed and sat with him. Hailey joined him in bed. I rubbed his head and he was out in 5 minutes. He slept for 1.5 hours. Good! I worked on the computer, caught up with email, facebook, and blogging. I made phone calls and arranged appointments and was toying with balancing the checkbook when Omar woke up. He was unsure about how he felt. He drank some water and laid in bed. I went to get him some lunch when he went running into the bathroom again. I called the doctor to see if Omar has a tylenol allergy. He said it sounded like the stomach flu instead. I put on a movie and put him in my bed. I made more dry toast and a banana. I brought in the bed tray and the laptop to do bills. Omar watched movies (yes plural) while I did bills and balanced the checkbook. Halfway through the last movie Omar sat up in bed and said "No more owie!" He felt all better! Yah! We are over the stomach yuckies. Here's to hoping no one else gets sick!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Poor little guy! What an adventure!
Glad he's feeling better!
(Sounds like you got a LOT done!)

Emma Dutson said...

So glad Hailey was at the foot of the bed with Omar! So cute of them. Glad Omar is feeling much better. You're a good Mom! I don't have aspirin in my house either, just tylenol.

Anna Dutson said...

SIck kids are no fun! Glad he's feeling better.