Monthly Themes

July: The Middle of Summer Already?

Friday, September 11, 2009

My Childhood Comes to an End


August 28th 2009 was the very last showing of Reading Rainbow. The show first aired in 1983 when I was just 3 years old. It last 26 years and reached numerous kids. I was saddened to read that it will no longer be aired on TV. For the last 5 years, my second graders would watch Reading Rainbow Friday mornings. And if we had to miss a Friday showing for what ever reason, my students really missed the show. So here's to LeVar Burton and 26 years of dedication and wonderful stories. PBS won't be the same without Reading Rainbow!


5 comments:

nate_clarlaw said...

That is so sad... I'm not a Reading Rainbow aficionado as you are, but I did love it when I was little!

Not as much as I love you though - so you'd better not go off the air!! :)

Victoria said...

Bummer! So what are you and the kids going to do Friday mornings now? Will anything be able to fill that void?

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

Wha Wha What? Oh it is a sad day!

Tiff said...

How Sad! Reading Rainbow was a huge part of my childhood too! I'll have to find some dvds so my kids can enjoy it too one day!

Alison said...

That is a tragedy! I mean it too! I love Reading Rainbow!